So that we can get to the headline recipe here, I’ll keep my comments to a minimum. I wish I had pictures, and I’ll get them up when I create some. Until then . . . these bars are delicious and have proven a hit over and over again. I am not a huge fan of pecan pie itself because of the glaze-y taste that always seems to be in the whole pie slice. A little bit goes a long way. For some reason, the addition of the chocolate chips and the ability to eat small doses of pecan pie throughout the day is so tantalizing in this recipe that this has become one of my favorite desserts — easy to make, too, and JUST IN TIME FOR THANKSGIVING. I say, “Do it! You won’t regret it.” Enjoy 🙂 Michelle
Awesome Pecan Pie Chocolate Chip Bars – adapted recipe from an old roommate’s version 🙂
Difficulty level: Easy Prep time: 30 minutes Total time: approximately 1 hr 15 mins
Yields: approximately 20 bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, cut up and slightly chilled
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- approximately 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
LET’S DO THIS!!
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in 3/4 cup butter thoroughly with a pastry blender until mixture resembles very fine crumbs. *Can use fork if you have no pastry blender, though pastry blender probably easier.
- Using a piece of plastic wrap, Press mixture evenly into a greased 13×9 pan.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly firm. *Since ovens vary, make sure you monitor the process.
- Remove from oven before moving on to make your filling.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl and put in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup butter in a medium to large saucepan. *Saucepan needs to be large enough to comfortably hold all mixture ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently. Remove from heat.
- Stir one-fourth of hot mixture into beaten eggs.
- Pour mixture from step #4 (immediately above) directly back into the remaining hot mixture.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips and vanilla and then pour over crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until set. *Honestly, with my oven, the fork still doesn’t come out perfectly clean at this time allotment because of the chocolate chips. However, pull it out and lightly cover with tinfoil to let it cook itself the rest of the way. It’ll firm up. You do not want it to burn due to too much cooking.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
Happy baking! Happy eating!